Saturday, July 01, 2006

Why Athlete 395?

I know that this blog has a unique name and it's in no way intended to be a mystery. In fact, I'm quite happy to share why this blog is called Athlete 395.

On September 17, 2005, I weighed in at my all-time highest weight of 395. Don't believe me? That's me in the picture on that day.

I had a hard time comprehending my weight and it made me realize all of the downright horrible habits that lead to that weight. So, through an online program, I put myself on a strict liquid diet program to completely transform my body. I managed to lose over 165 pounds - I've been as low as 219 and currently weigh in at around 225. Needless to say, this is quite a difference for me and how it makes me feel.

One of the horrible habits that I had was that I was much too sedentary; I simply didn't move my body enough. I was the stereotype of the fat computer geek that loved to eat pizza. Now, I focus on leading an active lifestyle and eating whole foods. I'm back into running and I have managed to rediscover my passion for cycling.

The bottom line for me is that I must keep active and keep myself exercising. I've changed my eating haits quite a bit, but the most important part remains my physical strength and activitiy. On top of that, the new weight allows me to partake in a variety of new activities that I simply couldn't do or wouldn't feel comfortable doing at 395. That's what the closing picture shows. This picture is of me in Colorado while on a crew team for RAAM 2006. I had always wanted to participate in RAAM and I finally had that chance in the summer of 2006 and it was a fantastic experience.

1 comment:

=^..^= said...

Congrats on your accomplishments over the last year...amazing.

I came across your blog on the LV marathon message boards. Good luck to you on the LB, I was supposed to run the half but recovering from a bad sprain and hoping to run the COA Half, Carlsbad half or the Pacific Shoreline Half!

Anyways,I was impressed by the transformation of your lifestyle, a phenomenal example to all.

Cheers,
~ Stacey