Saturday, July 22, 2006

My first 5K!

Today I completed my first 5K! It has been more than 10 years since I've participated in an organized race and it felt great! One of the smaller cities in LA had a weekend festival with a decent 5K course to start the weekend. There was very easy parking and the registration was quick.

I ran with a friend until the 2 mile mark. At that point, I took off and managed to post an 8:52 for the last mile. I know that's not an impressive number, but I was so proud of it because it's probably been more than 12 years since I could post a mile time like that. Considering that it was 2 miles into the race and a little warm out, I might be able to go faster than that in a 1-mile time trial. My final time for the 5K was in the 34s, but the important part is that I finished and had a great time. The organizers didn't buy enough water, so they ran out of bottles in the finish area, but otherwise, it was a great way to spend a Saturday morning.

No comments: