Friday, July 28, 2006

5x5

Don't let the title of this post confuse you - 5x5 is not a new hamburger or something crazy like that.

I've decided to start using Bill Starr's 5x5 weight-training program to help me continue develop my strength and frame. It focuses on a lot of the core-strengthening exercises with an emphasis on whole body movements like the squat and deadlifts. Its called the 5x5 because you do 5 sets of 5 reps for each exercise.

I did my first workout with this program this morning and it felt great! The program has built-in ramping of weight during each set and it makes you push yourself. I know that I had some pretty good breakthroughs today. Sometimes, I feel like I'm running into mental blocks with my weight choices, so it's good to have a program that makes you move forward. Plus, the thought of only doing 5 reps is less intimidating than the standard 10-12 reps.

I'll post more on my progress, but right now I'm really happy that I made the switch to the 5x5!

No comments: