Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The Joy of Cervelo


I took advantage of some of the Fourth of July sales in area and invested in a brand new bicycle. I had been researching bikes and I finally settled on the Cervelo Soloist. In case you don't know, Cervelo is a Canadian company that makes top-notch bikes for both cyclists and triathletes.

Based on the advice of a friend that also rides, I went with the aluminum model and not the carbon frame. I had a heck of a time finding a frame in my size (58cm) but when I did, I hit the jackpot! I had a very good salesman that went hunting down a 58 in the warehouse - he came back and told me that they had one but it was red. "Red? Cervelos dont come in red!", I replied. So, he left to get it and show it to me. While he was gone, I realized that I was wrong - the limited edition color for the Soloist is indeed red. It also has a special decal design distinctly different from the standard Soloist. So, not only did I get a beautiful new Cervelo, I have one of the limited edition models and it's awesome! I know that the NY Met sometimes puts ordinary objects in its collection, based on design; the Herman Miller Aeron chair is one of them. I'd love to see them consider the red Soloist - it's truly a work of art.

Given that it was 10% off the standard retail price, I had to have the bike. I picked it up today and they ran me through a pretty good fitting. All of the sales guys were admiring the beauty of the bike and were surprised that it was a Soloist since everyone is so used to seeing a Soloist in black. This is my "Pee-Wee Herman bike" - if something happens to it, I will go searching the ends of the earth for it.

It's probably more bike than I need, but I want to make a solid investment and have something that I'm going to enjoy riding . . . just call me Fred :)

No comments: