Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Upcoming Events

So, I went a little crazy with my Active.com account and have registered myself for a variety of upcoming events. They just make it too easy to sign up for a lot of events at the same time!

  • 9/10/06 - Los Angeles Triathlon: The LA Tri is doing something new called the "bike wave". Basically, you can just ride the bike portion of the full triathlon. The cool thing is that according to the schedule, the cyclists will start right after the pros, but before the amateurs. So, I'll have a chance to be on the course with some of the best triathletes in the world. I'm sure that I can't even hope to hold their wheel, but it should be fun nonetheless!
  • 9/24/06 - Nike RunHit Remix: I'm not quite registered for this one because the registration opens on 8/1 (Nike - what's up with that?). But I'm going to register as soon as its available because this one is basically a running party. I'm really looking forward to this one. I'm not looking forward to the run because 5 miles is such an odd distance, but a finisher's medal is always nice.
  • 10/15/06 - Long Beach Marathon - Bike Tour: I debated doing the Long Beach Half-Marathon as a warm-up for the Las Vegas event. However, I just can't pass up the bike tour. Any time you get a chance to ride a closed-course in Los Angeles, you just have to take it.
  • 10/15/06 - Long Beach Marathon - 5k: Yes, you read that right, I'm going to attempt to do 2 events in one day! The bike tour starts at 6AM and the 5K doesn't go off until 8:30. So, I figure that gives me about 2 hours to do the bike and then 30 minutes rest until the 5K. I don't expect to put together a fast time for the 5K, I'm just doing both events for fun and as an endurance test. The LA Tri will give me a confirmation that I can cover 26 miles in 2 hours (pretty sure that I can do that). My only concer with this is that I'll have to find a secure place for my Cervelo during the 5K. I just love my bike and I know I have a desirable color, so I gotta figure something out that will let me run the 5K without fretting about the safety of my bike.
  • 12/10/06 - Las Vegas Half-Marathon: What was I thinking? My hubris got the best of me and it had me thinking that I can run 13 miles. So, I committed to the Las Vegas Half-Marathon. It's a done deal - I paid for it, I have my vacation request in at work and I'm finalizing my travel arrangements. All of my friends are having the funniest reactions to me doing this. The best reaction was from my personal trainer, "13 miles, huh? Bring a magazine".

No comments: