Monday, August 21, 2006

The Bodyfat Chronicles

I've been doing more and more thinking & research into the theory
behind the composition of your body and whether it's made up of mostly muscle or fat? I used to think that weight was weight; 230 pounds was the same across the board. However, it's become obvious to me that this is not the case. You can be a soft and fatty 230 or a firm and trim 230. So, I've been fousing less on my weight scale and looking more at my bodyfat percentage.

I had my bodyfat tested in June for the first time in a long time and
I came in at 17.7% when I was 220 pounds. I had it tested again
yesterday (almost 2 months later) and I am now 234 and my bodyfat is
down to 15.5%. That means that while I've gone up in weight, I've
actually lost 1 pound of bodyfat and gained 14 pounds of muscle. I'm
also happy with this progress because I know that my trunk & waist
have never been this firm and even though I've put on 14 pounds, my
waist size is the same - I'm wearing the same jeans!

Finally, the increases in strength have been very welcome. I know that
I've been 234 before and I did NOT have the same strength that I do
now. I'm able to do proper push-ups, bench press so much more than
before and can do a few ab exercises that I could simply not do
before. Needless to say, I'm very happy that my training is paying
off!

No comments: